FAQs - A Design for Living Recovery Residence
What if I test positive upon intake?
You will not be accepted into our program at that time. We would support you in finding a detox or treatment center and would consider accepting a client once they compete a program.
Does a DFL Recovery Residence provide food?
We do not. Part of the life skills taught and vital to living responsible and productive lives involves client's shop, purchase, and prepare their own meals. You have access to a full standard kitchen, appliances, dishware, cookware, and adequate storage for your food. It is expressed upon intake that client's are to eat only food and items that they purchase. Borrowing without permission may be grounds for dismissal.
Do you accept woman who are pregnant?
Yes. Although, this will be handled on a case by case basis.
What should I bring with me?
- Big Book, 12 &12, Basic Text, Daily Reflections
- New Journal (Notebook)
- Bathroom Supplies (Soaps/Shampoos/Toothpaste)
- Laundry Supplies (Detergent/Dryer Sheets/Etc.)
- Driver’s License or other forms of identification
- Insurance Cards for medical purposes * A Design For Living does NOT accept insurance *
- Prescription Medication Bottles with labels
- Discharge plan from referring facilities, if applicable
- Groceries, food is not provided
- Appropriate attire for professional job interviews
- Cell Phones are necessary for accountability
- Vehicles are permitted, but subject to search/restriction
Does a DFL Recovery Residence provide transportation?
We generally do not. One of the benefits of clients getting involved in the recovery community and a 12-step fellowship is access to people always willing to offer help. We have found it is a great way to learn how to ask for help, as well as meet people in recovery.
Who can visit me while I am living at A Design for Living?
- Sponsors are permitted on the property at any time inside of curfew hours.
- Family members may come tour prior to or during a client intake.
- No overnight visitors are allowed at any time
- Sober supports are permitted on property within reason and at the discretion of the house manager
Can I leave for a weekend, or overnight and come back? What if I have a family trip or occasion out of town, would I be permitted to go?
After 30 days an overnight pass requestmay be submitted and approved at the director and/or manager’s desecration. When planning a “Trip” discuss details with the House Manager (When, Where, Who with and for what reason), fill out and submit the Pass Request Form.
What is the medication policy?
- A Design for Living offers a sober environment; use of alcohol, street drugs, any non-prescribed medication, any prescribed medication taken other than prescribed, over the counter medications which contain alcohol in any form are strictly prohibited.Upon admission, you will review and sign the Medication Policy, review and complete the medication monitoring forms, and provide a medication count for documentation. Once you are assigned a bed you will be given the key to your nightstand drawer. Medication is to be locked in this drawer at all times.
- Medication protocol will be freely coordinated between prescribing doctor and A Design for Living. This requires a Release of Information to be signed by the client. She must inform a DFL of all medication actively prescribed. If at any time a client is prescribed a new medication, change of medication or discontinuation of medication order is written from the medical provider, she must bring that order to A Design for Living. It will then be reviewed or counted, and the med form is updated to reflect current prescribing orders. The medication is added the locked drawer or disposed of in the presence of staff.
- Subutex, Suboxone, Methadone, and Gabapentin are not permitted on our property.
- Deliberate abuse of medication by a client will be considered a relapse. That client will be immediately discharged and offered treatment.
What happens if I relapse while living at the house?
You will be asked to leave the premises immediately. We would support you in finding a detox or treatment center. Upon completion of a facilitated detox or treatment program acceptance back into the program would be subject to the discretion of the house members, the director, and the house manager.
How long can you stay at A Design for Living?
A Design for Living requests a 6-month commitment to ensure the stability of the house and enforce a sincere desire to live a sober life. Most residents stay upwards to 9 months to a year.
Do you help with job procurement or placement?
We do not offer professional job placement services. Our rules do require client's obtain employment within 2 weeks of intake. If you are not going to be working it is required that any client not entering the workforce is to be enrolled in school and/or volunteering at least 24 hours per week.
Do you allow pets?
We do not permit pets. Client's with a service animal will be evaluated on a case by case basis.
Any additional questions please contact us. We would be happy to assist in any way we can. We strive to make you feel comfortable and supported through the process of choosing your aftercare.
© 2018 A Design for Living Recovery Residence. All Rights Reserved.